Just to recap in Sep 2011 we opened a Chase account and transferred our credit card debt to a 0% APR for one year account. We knew that having a year to pay it off would force us to pay it off within the year so that we didn't get hit with interest. In January we both read Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover and even though this debt was higher than her student loan and it was interest free compared to 6.8% interest we decided to pay this one off first because we knew we had to have it paid before October 2012. Little did we realize we'd end up paying it off in 4 months! I guess we did get gazelle intense though it really didn't seem like it.
I'll be the first to admit that we were able to knock out big chunks of it through the sale of camera gear and things like that but I'm fine with it. I sold a really nice camera that I wasn't shooting with enough to justify keeping it and as it turns out it looks like we'll be switching to different cameras soon so there's a good possibility I'll be selling all of my Canon gear and using that money to fund the new cameras that we'll get for Donna and me.
For me the coolest part about the whole deal, other than paying off the card, is that we made the last two payments on my birthday. What a great present that was!
4 April 2012 Update: I logged into the Chase account this morning and the payments have been applied. Chase has been paid in full! Time to write them and have the account closed. Below is a screen capture of the account summary page.

Wow $10,000 in 4 months that's awesome! I definitely agree with you about becoming gazelle intense. Once you get the ball rolling, it gains momentum and then it's hard to stop! Great stuff, Zack. Keep it up :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for dropping by Carrie! I know we were seriously intense on getting rid of that debt. I can't wait to knock out that student loan and then be able to yell "WE'RE DEBT FREE!!!"
DeleteCongratulations on tackling that debt! That IS intense.
ReplyDeleteHey Lindy! I agree we were intense. One thing that helped is we had some big ticket items sell so that really turbocharged our payoff schedule. My only problem is now I need to find some more big ticket items to sell so we can knock the next one out.
DeleteOoh, what were those big ticket items??? This is motivating me to go crazy and sell a bunch of stuff!! Well, not *my* stuff...my husband's stuff is probably worth more anyway, right? ;)
ReplyDelete-Michelle
(There's no option for me to comment without it putting my husband's picture up there apparently. :/)
Hey Michelle! The big ticket items included a high end digital camera ($1200) a camera lens ($475) a large model airplane ($500). In the post there's a link to the page where I detailed all of the payments we made.
DeleteMy wife just brought home a $400+ check from her part time job so we'll be making the equivalent of 5 monthly payments on her student loan debt this month!
Hi Zack,
ReplyDeleteI'm Noah Gordon, the founder of www.CarCareCheck.com, and my team and I would like to earn your business in automotive diagnostics.
We learned that you were a backer of the now cancelled Drive With Dash/Lynk Kickstarter campaign. We believe that you should never blindly pay for car repairs and we will deliver a high-value, low-cost remote vehicle diagnostics service to our members.
Right now we are in a pre-order phase of sales and have scheduled beta releases for our app for this summer for Android and this fall for iPhone.
We are a bootstrapped start-up that's in it to win it and your support will help us do so. Please register for our service and give us the opportunity to earn your business.
Always my best,
Noah
Noah Gordon
title: Founder
site: Car Care Check
phone: 617-528-9752
email: Noah@CarCareCheck.com
blog: The Car Care Check Garage
follow: @CarCareCheck
watch: Car Care Check's 1st Super Bowl Ad
read: How can a gallon of gasoline create 20 pounds of carbon dioxide?
recruit: Developers (referrals are helpful, too)